If you have an ebook or are making one, you really need to upload not only to Amazon, but to Smashwords.com.
You’ll need to read the Smashwords Style Guide, which isn’t long, as it’s the best way to understand how to format your document before uploading. These are most of the major tips though the Style Guide goes into far more detail.
- Don’t have large font sizes, nothing over 12 or 14 at the most for the title.
- Don’t have fancy fonts. Stick to the common ones. Times New Roman. Garamond. Arial. Courier.
- Don’t use tabs or spaces for indents. Just use the basic settings on the ruler bar: left and right indents for margins, and first line indent for new paragraph placement.
- Don’t have more than 4 paragraph returns in a row. They create blank screens of ebook pages.
- Don’t include page numbers anywhere. Ebooks have different screen sizes, so page numbers mean nothing to these things.
- Don’t include images larger than 3 inches. Resize them to be small enough to be enjoyed on those tiny screens.
Microsoft Word .doc files work the best for uploading, and then .rtf files are second best. Once you’ve followed the Style Guide completely, upload your book and cover by following the Publishing prompts. Remember, a good cover image is needed to be eligible for the Premium program which gets you into Barnes & Noble and other retailers. But not to worry, if for some reason they deny you, just make alterations and try again.
For more information and to get your ebooks for sale on Smashwords, visit http://www.smashwords.com